- The curriculum at Yapton C of E Primary is designed to provide a broad and balanced education that meets the needs of all pupils and gives them the skills, knowledge and understanding to prepare them for their future lives.
- It ensures that academic success, creativity and problem solving, reliability, responsibility and resilience, as well as physical development, well-being and mental health are key elements that support the development of the whole child and promote a positive attitude to learning.
- The curriculum celebrates the diversity and utilises the skills, knowledge and cultural wealth of the community while supporting the pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
At Yapton C of E Primary School we offer a curriculum which is broad and balanced and which builds on the knowledge, understanding and skills of all children, whatever their starting points, as they progress through each Key Stage. The curriculum incorporates the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum 2014 and other experiences and opportunities which best meet the learning and developmental needs of the pupils in our school. The aim of our curriculum is for pupils to have the requisite skills to be successful, independent and motivated learners in readiness for their next stage of education. It is important that the curriculum considers the development of the whole child rather than only concentrating on academic success.
At Yapton CE Primary School we believe that Mathematics provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
From Reception class onwards, our children go on a mathematical journey. Children learn intially through play using a wide range of real objects. As their confidence and mathematical fluency grows so does their understanding of number and place value.
As the children progress through the Key Stages children understand the connections between mathematical concepts and learn to problem solve using more abstract mathematical understanding.
See our calculation policy below.
We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within a combined programme of Speaking & Listening, Reading & Writing. At Yapton CE Primary school we strive for children to be highly literate individuals who demonstrate the ability to:
- read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, developing a range of independent strategies to edit and correct.
- have an interest in books and read for enjoyment
- have an interest in words, their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- understand a range of text types and genres – be able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation and audience
- develop creativity and imagination
- have a suitable technical vocabulary to articulate their responses
We believe that 'talk' is the foundation for writing and by having access to a range of books children are empowered to express their own ideas.
Please see the attachment below for our school handwriting scheme.
Please follow links at the side bar for information about wider curriculum subjects.